Work Ready Communities
What is an ACT WorkReady Community?
ACT® Work Ready Communities are areas where ACT® WorkKeys® and the National Career Readiness Certification® is earned by current, transitioning and emerging workforce and recognized by employers. The ACT® WorkKeys® NCRC® is a portable, industry-recognized credential that clearly identifies an individual’s WorkKeys® skills in workplace documents, applied math and graphic literacy - skills required for 77 percent of jobs based on ACT JobPro database. Currently, over 20,000 employers recognize the ACT ® WorkKeys ® NCRC ® in the Unites States.
M. Larry Richard, Iberia Parish President remarked that parish government has passed a resolution in support of the Work Ready Communities Initiative and is excited to have this asset which will help to better describe the skilled workforce of Iberia Parish to site selectors and business developers around the country. New Iberia Mayor, Freddie DeCourt said, "The Work Ready Communities Initiative is another tool to help illuminate how business and education in New Iberia work together to build stronger community."
By participating in ACT's Work Ready Communities Initiative, counties, regions and states are helping:
- Economic developers use an on-demand reporting tool to market the quality of their workforce
- Educators close the skills gap, via tools integrated into career pathways with stackable industry-recognized credentials
- Policy makers consistently measure the skills gap ina timely manner at the national, state and local levels
- Individuals understand what skills are required by employers- and how to prepare themselves for success
- Business and industry know eactly what foundational skills they need for a productive workforce- and to easily communicate their needs
Iberia Parish is working towards its ACT Work Ready Community certification staus by implementing these keys components:
- Building employer recognition and support for the initiative
- Encouraging individuals to earn an ACT WorkKeys National Career Readiness Certificate
Why is this important?
- Lower turnover by using ACT WorkKeys to measure vital skills needed by employers
- Hire the best employees by using the NCRC to select the most qualified applicants
- Increase employee performance by using ACT WorkKeys to identify specific skills needed by your incumbent workforce
- Improve your bottom line by using your ACT WorkKeys to quickly identify the most qualified employee for the next promotion
- Match your skill levels to specific job requirements
- Identify skills you could improve, and utilize ACT's resources to do so
- Certification is highly legitimized and respected, especially as the number of employers supporting the initiative increases
- Access to a pool of employers who recognize your skill level and who actively participate in the betterment of the local workforce
For Everyone Else:
- The WorkKeys curriculum helps educators ensure students haev the essential work skills employers need
- Iberia Parish will recieve national recognition as an ACT Work Ready Community and have access to all of the resources that come with the program
- ACT WorkKeys NCRC gives ecenomic developers evidence of a skilled workforce to help attract business and industry
New Iberia Initiative Partners: